07 October 2014

Him or Others?



Every single day in life we have to make decisions. Some decisions are easier to make and some not so easy. Some decisions we make do not affect other people, such as what flavor creamer do you want in your coffee? Or should I eat a sandwich for lunch or have a salad? Then there are some decisions that do affect other people such as changing jobs or making the decision to homeschool your children.

As humans we tend to dwell on what others will think when we make the larger decisions. Me personally, I am a people pleaser. I want everyone to be happy and no one to be upset with me. I guess me being a woman may play a part in this but in the end I am a people pleaser. Times have existed where someone will ask me to do something and instead of praying and asking God for an answer I say yes. Yes, because I do not want the other person to be upset with me.

I fail to realize that I need to focus more on what God wants from me rather than people. I need to please Him not people. Sometimes His answer may not be what I want to hear or what others will agree with but He knows what is best for me.

The apostle Paul explains this perfectly in the Book of Acts, 5:29, when he says: “We must obey God rather than men!”

We are here to serve God. We are here to witness to others who do not know Christ. We are to obey God.

Am I doing this when I am more focused on pleasing other people? Am I being obedient to God when I disregard His message to me?

Some decisions we make can cause us to lose friends. Cause friction among family.

OR

Our decision may cause us to become closer with friends or fix an issue within the family.

Either way we are to pray about our decisions. Pray and ask God if the decision we are about to make is pleasing to Him. Yes, our decision may affect others and their feelings toward us. Sometimes the answer may hurt others, which then can hurt our feelings, but we can find peace in His Word.

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...