13 July 2012

Holding A Grudge

Photo Credit


On Friday I usually link up with Life As Mom for Frugal Friday. However, today I am feeling led to post about something different. Last Sunday our pastor spoke of holding grudges and throwing stones against sinners. He referred to the story in the book of John of the woman who was caught in adultery. Jesus said "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7b.  The crowd then walked away one by one without throwing a stone. Jesus then asked the woman "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. Obviously Jesus did not approve of what she had done but Jesus did not condemn her of her sin. Jesus did not hold that sin against her or hold a grudge towards her.  At the end of this parable Jesus ends with telling the woman to leave her life of sin.

Did you notice that Jesus did not put her down? Jesus did not degrade her of her sin. Jesus did not hold this sin against her. He simply told her to leave her life of sin. God does not remember our sin. He does not hold grudges towards us. "The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;  he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities." Psalm 103:8-10

God loves us. He does not treat us as our sins deserve. Praise God for that! He loves us. He does not hold grudges towards us. He does not keep count of our sins. He forgives us. He welcomes us with open arms when we return to Him or repent for our sins. He does not turn away from us. He does not forsake us.

So why as humans do we feel the need or feel that we have the right to hold grudges or lash out to people when they do us wrong? How do we have that right? Yes, we are of the flesh. As humans that's what we do. Like it or not. However, we need to be more like Christ. We need to forget every wrongdoing someone has done to us. Including myself. I stand here along with everyone else. I have done wrong to others as others have done wrong to me. I am just as guilty as any other person.

How do we overcome this? Forgiveness. We need to forgive every sin or wrongdoing that has been done to us. No matter how hard it is. No matter the situation or what has been done. We are to forgive. We are to let go of the grudge we hold against other people. Once that has been done, the peace that overcomes you will be breathtaking and uplifting.

A Sister in Christ recently sent me a link to a YouTube video. I did not watch it right away. It took me a couple of days. Mainly because I did not check my email for a few days. BUT when I did the tears would not stop. God truly humbled me this morning. Events have happened in my life the last couple of days that have drawn me closer to Him. This morning on my run all I wanted to do was drop to my knees in the middle of the road. I wanted to cry. I wanted to shout out to Him. I needed Him. I ended my run early and came home. I went to His Word. I prayed. I went on my knees humbly asking Him for His help. I could not do it on my own. I needed His strength. I needed His forgiveness. I needed Him.

I was holding a grudge to someone extremely important to me. Honestly, I cannot remember every reason why I was holding a grudge. The reason that kept coming up was not why I was holding a grudge. I was holding a grudge because I was angry. I felt the other person was being rude and selfish. I saw the plank in their eye rather than the one in my own eye. I was being hard-headed and did not want to soften my heart. Finally, I knew it was time to be done. Nothing good was coming out of this grudge. This grudge was having an affect on other people. So, falling to my knees was the only thing I could do.

Yes, it will be difficult to forget of the sin that was committed against you or you committed against others. It will be a daily struggle. However, you are not alone. He is with you.

Please take a couple of minutes to watch this video. I pray that it will have the same affect on you as it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-mNFhHafjM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Blessings my neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...