27 January 2015

Going Through The Motions


You attend every church service each week. You attend every church function. You volunteer in the church nursery. You tithe. You attend Bible study. You say you will pray for people. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don’t. You pray when things get tough. Sometimes you pray when you want something. Sometimes you do pray. Just not every day. You consider yourself a “good Christian.”


“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 7:21

Most of those things are good and is what God wants you to do. BUT if you do not have a relationship with Him then all you’re doing is going through the motions. I am not talking about those who have just given their life to Christ and are trying to build that relationship. I am not talking about those who are still searching for Him. I am talking about those who know they do not have that personal relationship with Him. I am talking about those who are going through the motions.  

“Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Matthew 7:22

I have seen many people stand up and announce everything they have done for His Kingdom, but in the same breath their actions shout “I do it for my glory not His.” Trust me I have done this same thing. I know many of us struggle with this very thing. Oh the image we portray to others. We can have the head knowledge of His Word, but if it is not planted within our hearts then we need to have a heart check. We need to plant His Word within our hearts.

We do not know exactly what a “good Christian” is until we read His Word. His Word tells us exactly what He wants for all of us. Reading His Word, knowing His Word, praying daily, is knowing Him. Having a relationship with Him is taking time out to talk with Him, repent, ask for His help, and praise Him in the good and bad times. A relationship with Him is the same as having a marriage, or being a parent. You work at it. You take time out to get to know Him. You also take time out to listen to Him. He longs for that relationship with us.

“Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ Matthew 7:23

When we stand before Him on judgment day, will He tell you away from me? Or welcome my child?

Are you looking for that relationship with Him? Call out to Him. Tell Him you want that relationship. Trust me when I say He already knows. He is waiting for you. Just knock and the door will be opened for you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...