21 April 2015

No Peacetime, Only War


This past Sunday my family and I watched something that we haven’t watched since my daughter was a baby; The Academy of Country Music Awards. Back in the day the hubby and I listened to nothing but country music and since The Academy was celebrating the 50th year anniversary we thought why not.

Towards the end of the program a country singer named Alan Jackson, some of you probably know of him, sang his song called "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?" This particular song speaks of September 11, 2001.

When he began to sing this song it brought me back to that morning. September 11, 2001. I remember standing in my living room with my then nine month daughter on my hip staring in amazement at what I was witnessing on television.

As the day progressed and new information was coming out, I remember holding my daughter and fearing for her since both of her parents were military at the time. I knew our lives would never be the same. I never thought we would still be at war but it is our reality.

Our next generation rising up has never experienced a world at peace so to speak. All they know is war. There are wars raging overseas and here at home in our country. Many of the next generation may not even know that at one time you could actually meet those arriving off planes at the actual gate. You didn’t have to stand behind a line with security before you, waiting for your loved one. Our military children growing up after 9/11 know only of deployments, PTSD, and Skype. Our next generation knows only of fighting and hatred.

We, the generation prior to 9/11, need to step alongside this next generation and teach them of peace and love. That peace and love I speak of is Jesus. We need to teach the next generation about His Word, His Love, His Grace, and His Mercy. How do we teach them this? By showing them. Modeling to them. Embracing them rather than thinking they can’t be helped or blaming them or turning away from them.

Run to them.

Open your arms to them as Jesus does for you. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...