04 January 2013

Turn Off Your Oven


Being first-time homeowners we are learning new ways to lower are monthly bills such as the electric, water, and all the other lovely monthly bills. We are overall really good about turning off the lights when we leave the room, turning off the water when brushing our teeth, or when washing dishes. BUT I am looking for even more ways to lower our monthly bills.

One thing that I have started doing was shutting off the oven about five minutes before the food item is completely done cooking. This may seem like a little thing, but I guarantee over time it will add up.

Think about it?

When you remove an item from the oven how much longer is the oven hot after you turned it off? That is extra electricity that you are consuming to run the oven . If you cut the time the oven needs to be on by just a few minutes you are not only helping the environment, but you are also saving some money. Who can complain about saving money? Not me!

Are you worried about your food not cooking all the way?

Do not worry. It will be done. You are only turning it off a few minutes before the item is done. Plus, most food continue to cook itself for a couple minutes after you take it out of the oven.

Or you can just not use the oven that often. I try to limit how often we use the oven. I either use the crock-pot or griddle. Keep in mind that it costs more to heat up the oven than it is to use the crock-pot.

Just try it. :)

2 comments:

  1. I turn the oven off early and leave it open while it cools. I get a little extra heat in my kitchen that I paid for anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food will continue to cook for about 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven. Baking is totally different. However, I used to make sure I had at least 2 things to go in the oven before I turned it on. I figured if it was already warm, why not use it twice. I can't use it right now because I am not quite strong enough to get things in and out so I have gotten pretty creative with the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...