14 December 2012

Easy Dishwashing and Laundry Soap That Actually Work Great!


Yesterday I shared ten simple and easy ways to become frugal. If you missed that post you can find it here.  In that post I mentioned a good friend of mine sharing a laundry soap and dishwasher soap that she found. I have tried a dishwasher soap a few years ago and did not like it at all. Since then I have not even tried another because I was convinced that I would not find one that did not leave the white film on my dishes. I have tried a liquid laundry soap before and I liked it. The liquid laundry soap saved us a good amount of money considering our laundry soap lasted about eight months. I did like the liquid but I felt it was messy when I had to refill my soap bottle. This time I was more interested in trying the powder. Let me just say I am so thankful that my friend Karyn shared the recipes with me that she found.

The dishwasher soap is extremely easy to make and only takes a few minutes. My friend Karyn told me when you make this, to place the ingredients in a large Ziploc bag and to mash it for a few days. Otherwise the result will be one large rock that will require you to chip it off with a knife. You may still use the dishwashing soap while it is in the bag. I LOVE this recipe!!! The dishes come out so clean and no white film is left. Put it this way, my husband is even amazed at how great the dishes come out. He kept talking about it hours after he pulled a glass out of the dishwasher.  The best part is it makes a large amount and you only need one tablespoon per wash!

The laundry soap is just as easy as the dishwashing soap! My friend Karyn did add some powdered Clorox 2 bleach to her recipe and I added Purex powdered bleach. Karyn also mentioned putting some of the powered mixture with the grated soap into the blender just to get the grated soap a little more finely chopped. DO NOT JUST DO THE GRATED SOAP OTHERWISE IT WILL CLOG YOUR BLENDER! I am so thankful for my wise frugal friends!

All the ingredients can be found in the laundry and dishwashing aisles at the store. I found all my ingredients at Wal-mart. The best part is both recipes call for almost the same items and the batches last so long that you will not run out as often as buying store bought soaps. In the end you will be saving money! Nothing wrong with saving money!

I am very curious to see how long each one of these recipes last. We do not use the dishwasher everyday so I know that this will last for a few months. The laundry soap seems that it will last just as long. I did date my soaps just so I can get an idea of how much each batch will last.

Do you make your own dishwashing or laundry soap? Are you interested in making your own soap?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...