31 May 2012

Never Thought It Would Happen


Hubby in Afghanistan, 2011
 Yesterday I mentioned how my husband made a decision that will change our life next year. You can read that here.  The decision he has made was to retire from the Army.  My wonderful husband has been in the military for almost 22 years, 19 of those years were serving on active-duty.  This August my husband will put in his retirement paperwork and this time next year he will be considered retired.  I knew this time would occur, but I think I never thought it would happen.  To be honest, it is very scary.

My husband joined the military when he was 17 and I joined when I was 18.  We are now in our 30s.  Our entire adult life has been military.  This is all we know.  So retiring is quite frightening.  We do not know what the future holds, but God does.  We are putting our faith in Him.  We are praying and asking for guidance and wisdom. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

The next year will be preparing for his retirement.  Again, I never thought I would be saying that.  I knew eventually the time would come and now that the time is here, I look back in our earlier military days.  Back then I remember other members who were retiring and I would think "wow, what a lifestyle change."  I can say that the years have definitely flown by.  Our time here is done.  God has other plans for us.  I would be lying if I said I was not scared. 

In preparation for the retirement, the hubs and I sat down last night and looked at our finances.  I would like to say there is no worries there, but I cannot. We added up all of our debt and put them in order of what is being paid off.  Then, we put a goal of what we wanted paid off and when we wanted it paid off.  I am happy to say that our first item is paid off today! We then looked at what upcoming income we would be receiving and what items are about to paid off. We set some goals and a game plan.  We needed a plan of attack and we accomplished that last night.  Our big goal is to pay off 50 percent of our debt.  50 PERCENT!! Trust me when I say that is a HUGE goal.  However, we are looking into the future and that is his retirement.  He needs to retire.  His body is starting to shut down.  He is in constant pain.  It is time to hang up the boots. 

"For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

As the days go by, our main focus is retirement.  We are focusing on lowering our debt, praying for healing for my husband, and trusting in the Lord.  We know if this is God's plan then all we can do is succeed if we follow Him.  The next year will be a difficult one but I have God by side and my husband.  Two of the most important people in my life.

 Everything will be just fine.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

One final thing, would you mind saying a prayer for my mom? She leaves on her missions trip to St. Lucia today.  All prayers are welcomed! Thank you!

Blessings to you all!

1 comment:

  1. What a huge decision. But God always looks after us, and I am sure the life will work out just fine.
    You guys will be in our prayers. Blessings from Alaska!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...