A really good friend of mine introduced me to The Betty Crocker Cookbook and I LOVE it. It has many great recipes and my favorite, the desserts. One of those desserts are the butterscotch brownies and they are so rich you can only eat a little at a time. You may add a few different toppings such as powdered sugar or vanilla or chocolate glaze.
Ingredients for brownies:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs milk
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour (if using self-rising flour omit baking powder and salt)
1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of an 8 inch square pan with shortening.
2. In 1 1/2 quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat; remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla, milk and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in pan.
3. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool five minutes in pan or on wire rack. You can cut them into four rows by four rows while warm.
4. Spread or drizzle icing or powdered sugar. ENJOY!
Ingredients for chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbs butter or margarine
2 Tbs corn syrup
1 to 2 tsp hot water
1. In saucepan heat chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup over low heat, stirring frequently until chocolate chips are melted. Cool about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in hot water, 1 tsp at a time, until consistency of thick syrup.
Ingredients for vanilla glaze:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp regular vanilla or clear vanilla
2 to 4 Tbs hot water
1. In saucepan, melt butter over low heat and remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
2. Stir in hot water, 1 Tbs at a time, until smooth and consistency of thick syrup.
For more Frugal Friday tips jump on over to Life As Mom.