07 April 2010

Thursday Thoughts~Answering the "God" question

Just recently a friend started telling me about her daughter asking questions about God.  Of course, I was all ears and was very curious to what the mom was going to say.  Well, the mom continued on and told me that her daughter asked "How do you believe in God if you do not see Him"?  The daughter is around ten years old, and I am not sure what kind of walk her parents are on.  I knew that I really needed God's help on this one.  Before I answered I prayed a little prayer asking God to give me the words I needed to help this mother.

Of course the scripture that popped into my mind was 2 Corinthians 5:7 "For we walk by faith, not by sight" NKJV.  As I was explaining that scripture to the mother, God had put a thought into my mind; why not have my nine year old daughter talk to this mother's daughter?  After having a deep spiritual conversation with this mother I mentioned to her about my daughter talking to her daughter.  She was all for it!  Many adults do not realize that when we speak to younger children that we are not on their level of understanding.  So maybe if we were able to have a child close to her daughter's age explain it then maybe her daughter would have a better understanding.  

There are many children who have not grown up in church or whom have never even heard of God.  Mark 10:15 states "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it".   I strongly believe in that scripture.  Young children have a faith that I long for, and a desire to have childlike faith.  But what do we do with the children who have not grown up in the church or have had any knowledge of God? What do we do when they are around eight, nine, ten, twenty, or thirty years old asking "how do you believe in God if you cannot see Him"? 

As Christians we are to spread the Gospel; we are to show love to others even when it can be hard.  We are to love Jesus; to know that He died on the cross for our sins.  We are to sit with a mother and listen to her, and help guide her in the direction that God wants us to lead her too.  We are to help a mother explain salvation to a child of God.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any other suggestions that may help my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...