17 September 2014

Kids Learning To Cook

works for me wednesday at we are that family

One area of our homeschool that I am focusing on this year is teaching the blessings to cook. When I moved out of my parent’s house I had no idea how to cook. I was never taught except when I was in home ec in high school. Even then I had no idea what I was doing. If it did not come in a box with directions then we were not eating. I did not truly learn how to cook and I mean learn to cook from scratch until my mid-20’s.

I want my two blessings to feel comfortable in the kitchen prior to them leaving home. They need to know the terms used in cooking. They need to know how to double or triple a recipe. They need to know how to properly measure items. They need to know how to cook for their future families. They need to know how to be independent.

Each week my 13 year old daughter has a night of the week where she makes the entire meal. I sit back while she cooks but I am there if she has any questions. I have noticed a difference in her confidence. With each new week I see her more confident than the week prior.

The best part of all of this????

Mom does not have to cook!

Win/win!

Her first meal: chocolate lasagna and cheesy chicken pasta bake
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...