27 June 2013

"Do As I Say, Not As I Do"


This morning on the TFN Facebook page I mentioned how our life has been a roller coaster for the last year and that I am ready to get off. I am ready to get my family back on track and I am not referring to the roller coaster. We need schedules, discipline, routines, and organization, not in just our home but every aspect of our life. Now that life has slowed down a bit we can see God revealing to us areas that need focus.

One of those areas is our children. We have slacked in certain areas and need to mend them. Today, we shared with them some changes that will be occurring. I would love to say that both of the blessings embraced those changes, but sadly I cannot. Today, in our children’s eyes we are not winning “parents of the year” and that is okay.

 “Train a child in the way he should go. When he is old, he will not turn away from it” Proverbs 22:6.

Our children need routine, love, and discipline. They need to know what is acceptable and unacceptable. They need to know that when they make a mistake we are here with open arms embracing them and encouraging them to get back up and move forward. The same way my Lord and Savior do for me every day. They need to see Christ’s love through our parenting. Sometimes that love is taking them out of situations that we feel is not good for them. Situations that are hindering their walk with Christ, not furthering their walk. That includes at home. We cannot be “do as I say but not as a do” type of parent. That way of parenting is very hindering to a child. That causes confusion.

Our children are getting closer and closer to the teen years. My daughter will be a teenager at the end of this year. Our son in a few years. Our time is precious with them. The days are approaching where they will venture out more without us and we pray that when they are away from us they continue to do what is right. Times will come where they will not do the right thing but it is up to the hubby and I to embrace them and show them the correct way. All of us sin and make mistakes and each time we do He is there to embrace us and shows us the correct way to go. We are to do the same for our children.

We will have good days and difficult days before us but I know that we can do all things through Him who gives us strength.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...