11 September 2010

9-11-01 A Day Never Forgotten

September 11, 2001 is a day where many people can tell you exactly where they were and what they were doing when the tragedy occurred.  I am one of those people. 

I was sleeping and was awaken from the phone ringing.  When I answered I heard my hubby's voice asking if I am watching the news.  Whenever my hubby calls to ask if I am watching the news means I need to be watching the news.  I am not a news watcher and to this day hardly do I ever watch the news.  So I told him I was not and his response was that I needed too.  I jump out of bed, run to the living room, turn on the television and there I see a building with smoke coming out of it.  As I sit down to listen I see a plane coming into view and it hits the other building.  I had no idea what I had just witnessed.  "What did I just see?"  The announcer then tells me that another plane has flown into the building.  At that moment my nine month old daughter was welcoming a new day while the rest of the world was facing this horrible tragedy facing our country. 

My hubby calls to check on us and as I am talking to him the announcer goes on to tell me that a plane has just crashed into the Pentagon.  As I am telling my hubby the news it was announced at his work that all personnel in the building need to go home.  My hubby at the time was working in a federal building in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  No one knew what was happening in our country and for safety reasons every government building was being evacuated in our area.  It was then announced another plane had crashed in Pennsylvania.

I could not understand what was going on.  I wanted answers and no one knew the answer.  I remember standing in my living room, holding my nine month old daughter and looking at my hubby wondering what our future would hold. 

I will not forget where I was on September 11, 2001 and I will never forget those who had sacrificed their lives running into those burning buildings.  I will never forget seeing that second plane crashing into the tower.  I will never forget the innocent lives that were lost.  I will never forget those who helped in the recovery.  I will never forget where I was on September 11, 2001. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember all that uncertainty too. It was such a scary time for all of us!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...