11 April 2013

Just Love


Photo credit

One night last week while lying in bed, I asked Him what He wanted me to write about on the blog. I was not prepared for the answer He gave me. I, of course, questioned Him. Asking Him if that is really what He said or was that answer meant for someone else. I chuckle at that because like He really made a mistake.  I battled with the subject all last week. On Sunday at church our pastor spoke of this very subject. I guess there was no denying it now. I was to write about what He told me to write. I am giving fair warning that this is a very controversial subject especially among Christians. I ask that when you read this you read with an open heart and mind. I am not trying to get into a Biblical debate, I am just doing as I am told. Okay Lord, please give me the words…..


A few weeks back there was a huge battle on Facebook between two groups; Christians and Homosexuals. Both groups were stating their points and beliefs. Many people were changing their Facebook profile pictures to show their stance. I saw many people bashing one another and throwing Scriptures to support their stance. I saw many people bashing Christians. I saw many Christians bashing homosexuals. Is bashing really helping anyone? Is bashing one another showing love? As I watched all this going on my heart was aching. Was I feeling a little of what He was feeling? His children fighting amongst each other. Hurting one another. Yes, I know what He says about homosexuality. I know that He calls it sin. I know about Sodom and Gomorrah. But I also know what He says about gossip, slander, anger, drunkenness, debt, adultery, lust, cursing, blasphemy, and pride.

All sin.

Each and every one of those is sin. So for the person who curses. Does that not hurt Him? Yes, you may go to church. Yes, you may give ten percent of your income. Yes, you may only say it when you are angry. But is that not sin?  James 3:9-10 says “With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.”

I sin. I sin daily. I pray daily asking Him to help me. I have planks in my eye and sometimes there are many planks. Even though I wish I could say I don’t, I do. I have sin. I cannot cast stones against others. In John 8 when the woman is caught in the middle of committing adultery and the townspeople are ready to stone her, Jesus replies, “Let any of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Clearly, I cannot throw stones at anyone. I have committed many sins. Does that mean I do not throw stones? No because I am of the flesh and I find myself throwing stones. But who am I to do this?

The Word commands us to love one another. We are to love the homeless. We are to love the unlovable. We are to love the homosexuals. We are to love the drunkards. We are to love those who curse. We are to love those that gossip and slander. It reminds me of the parable in Luke about the Good Samaritan and who is our neighbor.

I am not saying that no one can have an opinion because we can and we all do. What I am saying is we need to ask ourselves if our opinions are crossing the line of bashing one another. We should stand up for what we believe in, but we should also love the sinner not the sin. We cannot say that homosexuality is the sin of all sins because we are not the Judge. One day we all will face judgment and we will be asked about our own sins.

So I pray that God changes my heart and convicts me when I am sinning. I pray for mercy and grace on this sinner. I ask for forgiveness. I pray for all those whose eyes fall upon this that they too will ask for mercy, grace, and forgiveness.

May we all put down our stones……

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...